Sunday, August 16, 2009

It all began with a yo yo.




I cannot believe it! I finally finished this purse that I designed! It's shape and structure are not anything major but I did not use a pattern, just a picture I had in my head.

It all began with a yo yo. I picked up a yo yo maker from Jackman's Fabrics many months ago. I have always loved yo yos but was intimidated by their construction. The yo yo makers from Clover are a dream come true for me (I now have all the sizes of the circles)! I use Moda Charm packs (certainly a new obsession that rivals my long obsession with scrapbook paper...and that's saying a lot!) so I don't have a lot of cutting. Anyway, I knew I wanted to make yo yos but I did not know what I was going to do with them. I wanted to showcase them and so I thought of using them as an accent around the top of a purse. More than a month later and voila! My purse!

I have included two pockets on the inside and a removable hard bottom so that it can go in the wash (the plastic bamboo handles slide out of the loops). While I have a lot of improvements I can do should I make another, I am for the most part...pleased.

In the process of making this purse, I had my very first sewing machine fixed (a Brother I purchased at the Wal-Mart in Killeen, TX, just about 10 years ago) only to trade it in last week for a brand new Janome (pictures coming soon)! I simply love it! It is digital and has so many cool features that make sewing more enjoyable rather than stressful. I have so many ideas and projects that I am anxious to create and share with you!

1 comment:

  1. Well done, Sis. Before I read your writeup, I was trying to figure out how that was inspired by a yo-yo.

    Craft Terminology > me

    ReplyDelete