Saturday, September 5, 2009

Something for Aidan


Aidan asked me the other day why I did not have anything made for him on my blog recently (I reminded him that his Clone Trooper Helmet cake was my first post!). Admittedly, I have not made a lot for him, but I remembered I took pictures (closeup picture is a little blurry, sorry) of something that I did make for him for this school year.

Second and Third graders have to have what is called a "carry all" as part of their school supplies. It holds crayons, glue, etc... Aidan picked out this cute "rocket in space" fabric for his carry all. I felt it needed something extra and asked him if he would like a larger version of the rocket that is in the print appliqued on it. He said he thought that would be cool! I've always intended on perfecting the blanket stitch by hand, but found this applique stitch on my lovely Janome sewing machine and knew I had to give it a go! Let than five minutes later, this rocket was finished! Yay! I would have loved to hand stitch some of the smoke swirls coming out the bottom, but time was running out and Aidan was very pleased with just the rocket.

These bags are fun and easy ( I have made some for other kids in school and also for the stand at the picnic) and "fun and easy" are three of my favorite words when choosing a project!

No comments:

Post a Comment